Sunday, September 22, 2013

Played by Zeus

        
        Although I had originally been completely confident of sacking Troy with what I believed to be the blessings of Zeus, I had now found my troops on the verge of defeat. Despairing, all I can ask myself is, "If the gods are now against us, what's the point of continuing?" Why, oh why, bother coming here just for the sake of one women! All this loss of life—it's hopeless—my fellow Achaians, we might as well just pack up and go home.  


        It took young Tydides to shake me out of my panic, harshly reminding me of my obligations and the prophesy of Troy's demise; maybe Zeus is only testing my resolve! Tydides now, (and Achilles before him), challenged my authority to lead, but it was Zeus who gave me the scepter of power; its up to me to have the heart to withstand all opposition. Courage reclaimed, we feasted; afterwards, wise Nestor counseled to forgo the madness that caused me to dishonor Achilles. Of course! The Achaian resolve to win will be reinvigorated if we can get him back! I could return Briseus, and offer him countless riches and the hand of one of my daughters besides (which will make him my son-in-law); if only his stubborn pride does not prevent him from accepting his kings gracious offer. I will send the three emissaries, Phoinix, Aias, and Odysseus, and we will pray for the pity of Zeus.


The Ambassadors of Agamemnon Visiting Achilles
Auguste-Dominique Ingres - 1801


          I was  not surprised when Achilles turned down my generous offer; not even for the sake of his own people would he return to the battle!  No matter. We still have other brave fighters, such as Diomedes and Odysseus, who boldly volunteer to spy on our Trojan enemy. First they captured, interrogated, and killed the Trojan spy, Dolon. With that information they were able to then sneak into the enemy camp, kill king Rhesus and twelve soldiers, and steal Rhesus' chariot and horses. 


Diomedes, Odysseus, and Dolon



Goddess Athena counseling Diomedes before battle





        The bravery and success of Diomedes and Odysseus has re-inspired the Achaians with the will to fight on. Accompanied by crashes of thunder from Hera and Athene, we beat back the enemy to the city walls. I slew Koön's brother and then Koön, himself, after he snuck up on me and stabbed me below my elbow. My injury was by then so painful that I had to withdraw from the battle. The rest of the Achaians continue on, but the enemy is strong. The unrelenting Hector is finally repelled by Diomedes. If Achilles refuses to return, maybe his friend, Patroclus, could disguise himself as Achilles. This deception could serve to inspire the Achaians to victory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment